Atomic Punks LogoUpcoming Gigs 
Nav Panel Home Punks' Calendar The Band Photos Audio Video Fan Reviews Merchandise Links Band FAQ Side Projects Contact/Booking VH Logo BottomNow In Hi-Fi Stereo
Atomic Punks Fan Forum

Search | FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Atomic Punks Fan Forum   » High Crime Zone   » Van Halen/Hagar last night

- E-mail Topic To A Friend!    
Author Topic: Van Halen/Hagar last night
Atomic Angel
Romeo Delight
Member # 199

Icon 14 posted August 11, 2004 09:10 AM      Profile for Atomic Angel   Email Atomic Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw Van Halen last night in San Jose and they rocked!!! Very cool to see Edward playing live again. Sammy sounded great, Alex did a cool solo, and Mad Anthony was ON FIRE!!!

Of course, we all know where to get our vintage Van Halen fix [Wink] No one does DLR Halen better than the Punks!!! So glad to have an oppportunity see both bands [Thumbs Up!]

Posts: 42 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
RacerXWebguy
Hot For Teacher
Member # 220

Icon 1 posted August 18, 2004 12:05 AM      Profile for RacerXWebguy   Author's Homepage   Email RacerXWebguy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw the Anaheim show last night.

The show was good. Eddie looked much better than I expected. I saw him at the horrific NAMM appearance at Peavy in 2003, and he looked like a bag lady.

Sammy is the most amazing, 56 year old singer. He does the show, and makes you feel like all 12,000 are his best bud.

The stage was visually appealing.

The music...mostly good.

Eddie's solo. Was a disappointment. Perhaps I've been spoiled by Russ's flawless replications....but I felt like I essentially watched 15 minutes of "exploration in feedback" to get 30 seconds of a section of Eruption. You'd think Ed would notice people getting semi-restless, then LEAPING to their feet during the tidbits of Eruption.

It was a worthy show, and entertaining....but had some gaps.

--------------------
Regards,
Ken Hower
Racer X Webmaster
www.racerxband.com

Posts: 165 | From: Granite Bay, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Atomic Bass
Atomic Punk !!
Member # 4

Icon 1 posted August 18, 2004 02:04 AM      Profile for Atomic Bass   Author's Homepage   Email Atomic Bass   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw the show in San Diego tonight, it absolutely ROCKED. While I would much rather hear a few tunes other then the 2 new ones, and Humans Being, it was a great show. They looked like they were having so much fun, and the packed house seemed to be having a blast too. Isn't that what it's really about anyway. Eddies solo was a little shorter then some of the boots I've heard of this tour, and I really liked it. He was really playing great tonight. Anyone going to see the Staples shows in LA shouldn't be disappointed at all.
The boys are rockin'!!!!!!

Elwood
Romeo Delight
Member # 210

Icon 1 posted August 18, 2004 07:35 AM      Profile for Elwood   Email Elwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Atomic Bass:
I saw the show in San Diego tonight, it absolutely ROCKED.

Glad you had a good time Joe.

Personally, I'd rather just see you guys. And I'm not just sucking up! (OK, just a bit)

--------------------
Cowbell, I need more Cowbell!

Rawhide in "A"

Posts: 89 | From: 1060 West Addison, Chicago | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
HeavyMusic
Romeo Delight
Member # 262

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2004 12:36 AM      Profile for HeavyMusic   Author's Homepage   Email HeavyMusic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I only like a few songs that Sammy did in his solo days (Heavy Metal, High Hopes, There's only one way to rock) and I liked him in Montrose. He does have a great voice and basically, he is a great entertainer. However, I only like a hand few of tunes when he was with VH... because the songs have that same writing structure and sound. I think a lot has to do with how the music is polished. When you record songs with a few tries, you still get the energy and sometimes those "mistakes" end up being brilliance.

I guess when I hear the Dave era, the music was very different, a little more free and you can hear the difference in the song structure between dance the night away and Mean Street; to Hot for Teacher to I'm the one. When I hear the Sammy era, the songs take me on the same roller coaster. I mean, I know what the bridge is going to sound like before they get there.. I know the basic skeleton structure of the Sammy Van Halen era. I know how Sammy is going to sing the tune and I know how Ed is going to play it... I know the paths that they will take.. the safe one.. so that they do not get into poison ivy. But.. I guess that is the music of today... kinda cookie cutter because it works, get's air play,and sells.

No offense to anyone.... By no means am I putting Sammy or the band down.. They are awsome musicians and I like a few of the songs.

Therefore, I'll wait for the DVD.. cause I would like to check out Wolf play with Dad.

To sum.. I would rather see The Punks over VH and over Dave. (Except, Brian Young plays for Dave.. and I like his touch on the guitar so.. I guess I'll have to see Dave every chance I get)

Posts: 40 | From: Arizona | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
SoCalChelle
Romeo Delight
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted September 07, 2004 07:00 AM      Profile for SoCalChelle   Author's Homepage   Email SoCalChelle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Atomic Bass:
Anyone going to see the Staples shows in LA shouldn't be disappointed at all.
The boys are rockin'!!!!!!

I went to the first night in LA. I was also at the San Diego show [Smile]

--------------------
tormentedvhfans.com

Posts: 88 | From: Southern California | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
JOHNNY GEETAR
Romeo Delight
Member # 305

Icon 6 posted September 07, 2004 03:26 PM      Profile for JOHNNY GEETAR   Email JOHNNY GEETAR   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Friday night show at Staples kicked ass and when that show was done i headed to Kosmo's to check out the Punks!Now that was a rocking night!I guess you would say that it was the best of both worlds!
Posts: 108 | From: WHITTIER | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time (US)  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Copyright © 2002-2016 The Atomic Punks