Atomic Punks LogoUpcoming Gigs 
Nav Panel Home Punks' Calendar The Band Photos Audio Video Fan Reviews Merchandise Links Band FAQ Side Projects Contact/Booking VH Logo BottomNow In Hi-Fi Stereo
Atomic Punks Fan Forum

Search | FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Atomic Punks Fan Forum   » High Crime Zone   » Willam Hung

- E-mail Topic To A Friend!    
Author Topic: Willam Hung
DickWiggler
Little Dreamer
Member # 378

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2004 01:44 AM      Profile for DickWiggler   Email DickWiggler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this is a V.H. related board but does William Hung really deserve to have a best selling copy of his CD right now? I would have to say yeah, let him have his glory, I hope he gets to fuck some of the women along the way!

--------------------
DW

Posts: 4 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Atomic Bass
Atomic Punk !!
Member # 4

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2004 03:55 AM      Profile for Atomic Bass   Author's Homepage   Email Atomic Bass   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a prime example of why the music business is so messed up. Instead of developing great bands and talented artists, they spend a ton of money on W.Hung. Then they wonder why there are no more really huge new bands anymore. The last great band is U2 as far as I'm concerned. Funny that the only new bands that have a chance at being huge 10 years from now are from Europe (Radiohead and Coldplay). I think Hung is a great novelty act, and bless him for getting popular, but this is classic Record label exploitation, and they wonder why people don't want to spend $18 on a new cd anymore. Then sales go down because people are sick of spending a bunch of money on one hit wonders like Hung, who doesn't even really have a hit.
God, why did you have to bring this up. Russ and I have gone on forever about this topic, don't get us started.

JOHNNY GEETAR
Romeo Delight
Member # 305

Icon 6 posted April 22, 2004 08:22 AM      Profile for JOHNNY GEETAR   Email JOHNNY GEETAR   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree with you Joe.The musicianship seems to take a backseat as opposed to "gimmick".Foe instance back in the eighties I remember calling KNAC and always requesting for them to play the band RacerX and asking them why they never played them and they simply said that nobody requested them,I mean sometimes you would hear "getaway"by them but they had so many other songs more worthy.Instead it was just horrible "hairbands" which I wont mention any of them because I dont wanna be the bad guy here.But I guess thats because the ones calling the shots are the buisness men and noy the musicians.I dont know maybe I'm wrong here but thats what it has always seemed like.And oh by the way there is nothing wrong with "long hair" I used to have it too.
Posts: 108 | From: WHITTIER | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
RacerXWebguy
Hot For Teacher
Member # 220

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2004 10:08 AM      Profile for RacerXWebguy   Author's Homepage   Email RacerXWebguy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know..Getaway always killed me...it's one of their weaker songs. The only COOL thing about Getaway, was live Paul would pick the solo on his guitar, while Bruce stood behind him and played the notes. There's a (poor quality) video on our Cool Stuff page.

As for talent and musicianship. I'll tell you a funny story. In 2001, I picked up Scott Travis at his hotel on Sunset and drove him to the Whisky for their sound check.

As we turned the corner, there was a HUGE billboard of that rapper, Lil' Romeo, decked out in BLING.

Scott, from the back seat said "Yeah...you hone your craft over years, live in crappy apartments struggling to make anything....and some little kid gets a billboard on Sunset."

It was a sobering joke.

--------------------
Regards,
Ken Hower
Racer X Webmaster
www.racerxband.com

Posts: 165 | From: Granite Bay, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
JOHNNY GEETAR
Romeo Delight
Member # 305

Icon 6 posted April 22, 2004 12:08 PM      Profile for JOHNNY GEETAR   Email JOHNNY GEETAR   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah it's too bad,because they were so incredible live,there was nobody like 'em.I am so lucky to have seen 'em back then.Hey but there's always American Idol,ha ha just kidding.
jason
Little Dreamer
Member # 99

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2004 09:23 AM      Profile for jason   Email jason   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i totally agree with you joe...the industry spends millions on a dude like this when bands such as..oh i dont know racer X and thornbirds, have to bust thier butts just to get some airplay..that sucks! i had a station down here in san diego playing the thornbirds(the ducks when they were playing it) and that station ended up going country cause it was an indie station and got taken over..now i have to resort to 91x to hopefully here some new stuff..ah whatever [Devil]

--------------------
nothin' but yeah!

Posts: 38 | From: san diego | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
JOHNNY GEETAR
Romeo Delight
Member # 305

Icon 6 posted April 23, 2004 12:09 PM      Profile for JOHNNY GEETAR   Email JOHNNY GEETAR   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I'll give it to William Hung at least he's not lip syncing the songs,if he did he could go under the name Willy Vanilly,yeah I know it's a dud but I thought of it this morning on my way to work.(cymbal splash!!)
PunkPrincess
Hot For Teacher
Member # 223

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2004 04:08 PM      Profile for PunkPrincess   Email PunkPrincess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Willy Vanilly! LOL!

I think William Hung is great. He isn't trying to create an image or follow a trend. And like Johnny Geetar said, at least he's not lip syncing.

He's also not a downer. I mean he is not out there complaining about how awful things are right now. I am sick of songs/singers that do nothing but complain. You know what, I know how much life sucks. All I need to do is turn on the evening news and get reminded of it. I don't need some dude or chick singing about it, too.

Hell, I complain enough as it is...I don't need music, movies, or tv to reinforce it. I want a positive example of what life can be like, how funny life is, and why we continue this journey.

[ April 23, 2004, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: PunkPrincess ]

--------------------
"A dress makes no sense unless it inspires men to want to take it off you."--Francois Sagan

Posts: 137 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
MetalSkoolGirl
Romeo Delight
Member # 380

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2004 10:47 PM      Profile for MetalSkoolGirl         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The music out today is so depressing and whiney. One of the reasons i like Metal Skool so much is because the songs are happy and make u forget about your problems.--"Don't need nothin, but a good time."
Posts: 41 | From: Las Vegas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Vince
Romeo Delight
Member # 32

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2004 04:46 PM      Profile for Vince   Email Vince   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jason:
..now i have to resort to 91x to hopefully here some new stuff..ah whatever [Devil]

Bro, 91X sucks.

How ya been?

--------------------
51504VH

Posts: 82 | From: San Diego, CA. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
red7of9
Little Dreamer
Member # 394

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2004 09:31 PM      Profile for red7of9   Author's Homepage   Email red7of9   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if any of you noticed, but it appears to me that William Hung may have Down Syndrome, which would explain his cheery disposition and how people react to him. I have mixed emotions about it. I am happy that he is living a dream, but at the same time, people look at him as a joke.....how unkind. Let's face it, the music business was screwed up a long time ago, when ambitious business men came in and made it about money and not art. I always support indie bands that I feel have talent and PURCHASE their CD. As Rush put it..."but glittering prizes and endless compromises, shatter the illusion of integrity, yeah!"
Posts: 9 | From: Chino, CA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
SoCalChelle
Romeo Delight
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2004 10:58 AM      Profile for SoCalChelle   Author's Homepage   Email SoCalChelle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by red7of9:
I don't know if any of you noticed, but it appears to me that William Hung may have Down Syndrome, which would explain his cheery disposition and how people react to him.

If he does, it must be a fairly mild case. He's going to Berkeley, pursuing a degree in Civil Engineering. I think people react to him the way they do because of his positive outlook and great attitude. When he auditioned for American Idol, Simon started to give him a hard time and he just replied, "Well, I've done my best and that's all that matters." I mean this guy with no lessons, and in fact no TALENT, had the balls to get up there in front of America and take a shot at living his dream. Is he taking anything away from the truly talented musicians out there? I don't think so. If he has a best selling album, it's because people are buying it. His 15 minutes will be over soon, and it'll be someone else's turn. I say, let him enjoy it while he can and more power to him. [Smile]
Posts: 88 | From: Southern California | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
red7of9
Little Dreamer
Member # 394

Icon 1 posted June 01, 2004 09:36 PM      Profile for red7of9   Author's Homepage   Email red7of9   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, there are varying degrees of Down Syndrome, just as there are varying degrees of Autism. Perhaps some remember the actor who had Down Syndrome some years back? Anyway, yes, he is attending Berkley for engineering, but by his own admission, he is not doing well scholastically. People with Down Syndrome always have a positive outlook and are very sweet. If you have ever met someone who has this Syndrome, you would find that it just feels good to be around them. Their kindness is humbling.
Posts: 9 | From: Chino, CA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time (US)  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Copyright © 2002-2016 The Atomic Punks