Atomic Punks LogoUpcoming Gigs 
Nav Panel Home Punks' Calendar The Band Photos Audio Video Fan Reviews Merchandise Links Band FAQ Side Projects Contact/Booking VH Logo BottomNow In Hi-Fi Stereo
Atomic Punks Fan Forum

Search | FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Atomic Punks Fan Forum   » Atomic Punks Talk   » Question for Ralph

- E-mail Topic To A Friend!    
Author Topic: Question for Ralph
vh_littleguitars
Romeo Delight
Member # 169

Icon 1 posted June 30, 2003 09:28 PM      Profile for vh_littleguitars   Email vh_littleguitars   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have the Punks ever played "Dancing in the Streets"?? I've been to a lot of shows and can't ever remember that one being pulled out of the bag. Great cover, but would it be too hard to pull off live?!

--------------------
"All my flavors are: guaranteeeEeeeEeeeeEeeeEeeeEEeeE.E.E.E.EeeeEeed, to satisifyyyyyyyy"

AlbertR
Unchained
Member # 31

Icon 3 posted July 04, 2003 01:56 AM      Profile for AlbertR   Author's Homepage   Email AlbertR       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I remember them playing that song the last time I saw them at the Whisky A Go Go [Drunk]

I remember some people were looking at each other like "what are these guys doing playing a Jagger / Bowie song" [Roll Eyes]

Now a song like "Top Jimmy"... I've been told that would be a very tough song to pull off (Van Halen never performed that one live, along with a few other songs from the first 6 albums). [Quiet]

Another difficult song I would like to someday see Russ perform is Cathedral. If an East Coast VH tribute band can do it, I'm sure he could too. [Thumbs Up!]

--------------------
---- Albert R.
albertr@albertr.ORG
atomicpunks.albertr.com/

Posts: 221 | From: So. Cal | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tracy
Hot For Teacher
Member # 247

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2003 06:40 AM      Profile for Tracy   Email Tracy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by vh_littleguitars:
Have the Punks ever played "Dancing in the Streets"?? I've been to a lot of shows and can't ever remember that one being pulled out of the bag. Great cover, but would it be too hard to pull off live?!

I think they played it at the Whisky at my first ever Punks show, on April 5th. [Cool] (I'm sure of the date because I'd gotten my kitty tattoo earlier that day, and it was a week before I flew in to NYC in business).

>^,,^<

--------------------
"I was born without a silver spoon, but I'm gonna make a stir." David Lee Roth (A Little Ain't Enough)

Posts: 191 | From: Santa Monica, CA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brett
Punk In Charge
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2003 09:32 AM      Profile for Brett   Email Brett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah they have and they shouldn't anymore. It is easily the worst Van Halen song of all time. No offense to the Punks of course, but I simply loathe that cover when VH did it. So un-Van Halenish in every way. There are so many better things they could have done for "Diver Down."

--------------------
Official Atomic Punks Web Site
http://www.theatomicpunks.com

vh_littleguitars
Romeo Delight
Member # 169

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2003 09:12 PM      Profile for vh_littleguitars   Email vh_littleguitars   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shrug. I like the VH cover of that song. I was just curious because I've never heard the Punks play it before.

--------------------
"All my flavors are: guaranteeeEeeeEeeeeEeeeEeeeEEeeE.E.E.E.EeeeEeed, to satisifyyyyyyyy"

Top Timmy
Punk In Charge
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2003 10:13 PM      Profile for Top Timmy   Author's Homepage   Email Top Timmy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe Ralph will chime in and give us an answer. [Cool]

Ralph? [Devil]

--------------------
Webmaster

Posts: 471 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Atomic Bass
Atomic Punk !!
Member # 4

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2003 01:41 AM      Profile for Atomic Bass   Author's Homepage   Email Atomic Bass   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Luck...
vh_littleguitars
Romeo Delight
Member # 169

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2003 02:41 AM      Profile for vh_littleguitars   Email vh_littleguitars   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Atomic Bass:
Good Luck...

Well I really didn't expect Ralph to respond. I imagine with Metal Shop and AP he is really busy. Plus I know he has to have women all over him. Man that has to be a nice feeling! *slaps self*

--------------------

Jeff C.
Hot For Teacher
Member # 50

Icon 6 posted July 06, 2003 02:26 PM      Profile for Jeff C.   Email Jeff C.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard numerous times that Top Jimmy is really hard to play live. Why is that?
Posts: 150 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brett
Punk In Charge
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2003 04:02 PM      Profile for Brett   Email Brett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because it's not tuned standard, it would take Russ having another guitar to switch to. It's not just dropping the low E, to D, you have to retune all but 2-strings and the song is in standard pitch, not down 1/2 like most other Dave-era songs.

Plus with all that said, Ed used a specially-made Ripley guitar that allowed him to pan each string on the guitar to a separate track, which is what gave that song part of the feel that it had.

Even the Mighty VH didn't do it live, it's a pain to do right.

--------------------

Jeff C.
Hot For Teacher
Member # 50

Icon 6 posted July 06, 2003 07:22 PM      Profile for Jeff C.   Email Jeff C.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks Brett. Even though I don't play guitar, and didn't understand half of what you just wrote, I somehow understand now why they can't do it live. Thanks. Have the Punks ever done the last 2 songs on 1984. GGB and HOP??
Posts: 150 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
SciKikMobster
Little Dreamer
Member # 236

Icon 1 posted August 13, 2003 04:56 PM      Profile for SciKikMobster   Author's Homepage   Email SciKikMobster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw them pull off Dancing at Kozmos awhile back... it sounded good. I didn't notice any fuck ups. Ralph said that was their 1st time playing it.

--------------------
www.psychicmafia.com
www.metal101live.com

Posts: 17 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time (US)  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Copyright © 2002-2016 The Atomic Punks